Pin It

Monday, April 23, 2012

Pear and sausage pizza. Yeah, I said it.

I desire to be original. An original teacher, student, wife, mother, cook, television viewer, dog owner. Okay, I just want to be original in everything I do. But with being a new wife, my recipe box is mostly full of Real Simple recipes, Food Network recipes, various blog recipes ... not many that I can call "mine".

For now, I have two. A pear, sausage pizza and a chicken lasagna. The lasagna has a heartfelt background story and is making me drool with just the mention of it. I will save that one. Fortunately, the pizza is just as tasty and even a little less time consuming.

The background story.
We love pizza. Eat it at least once a week. Sometimes homemade, sometimes at our local pizza spot. Homemade is typically the choice from both parties, but is typically a recipe from online or a mimicry of one we have had in a restaurant. Due to this love of pizza, we received a beautiful pizza cook book from John's sister for our wedding. It truly is beautiful. In the book, there is a pear and sage flat bread. My husband is a "meat man" so I knew just pear and sage would just not cut it. I knew sausage was the answer for pear. Fruit and breakfast meat is just a perfect couple in my mind. Thus the research started. I am a high school English II teacher ... research is a part of my daily job. 

"What cheese pairs best with sausage?" Verdict: Sharp white cheddar and blue. The answer didn't quite come this speedy. 
"What sauce pairs best with sausage?" Verdict: No response, well marinara, but that wasn't cutting it. We had to get creative here.
"What the heck is aioli?" Verdict: It is not as hard as it sounds. After only hearing it from Bobby Flay's mouth I was nervous. But we've now made it multiple times using our blender. 

Post research was a time of trial and "error", although error is far from the right word, because each time we have made this it has left us with no left overs.

Beauty was born.


Pear and sausage pizza recipe:

You will need:
  • One pear, thinly sliced
  • Turkey sausage, cooked and crumbled (3/4 pound) I use the ready to go Jimmy Dean crumbled sausage
  • One pound of pizza dough
  • Half a cup of homemade aioli (OR olive oil mayo with two to three garlic cloves) 
  • Fresh or dried sage
  • Sharp cheddar cheese, shaved or shredded (five ounces)
  • Blue cheese, crumbled (three ounces)
  • Honey to drizzle (one and a half teaspoons)
After rolling out dough (I always make this a thin crust pizza), assemble in the following order:
Aioli, sharp cheddar, pear slices, sausage, blue cheese, sage, then a drizzle of honey

Bake at 425-450 (depending on your cookware/stoneware and oven) for 12-15 minutes. 

Indulge.





No comments :

Post a Comment